On 13 April 2012 04:52, Rob Lanphier <ro...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> During the 1.19 cycle, there were some namespace names that were changed
> and then reverted shortly before deployment.  We're about to deploy
> 1.20wmf1 to a lot of international wikis on Wednesday of next week, and I'm
> a little worried that we may need to do a speedy revert again.

I'm worried about lots of stuff, this thing is near the bottom of that list.

> Two concerns:
> 1.  Do the new namespace names have community consensus?  What I've heard
> though the grapevine is that yes, there has been an effort to get
> consensus, but confirmation of that would be nice.

Since when is consensus required for software or localisation changes?

However, long time ago I talked with Tim who reverted the original
change. I also proposed a solution (post notifications to all affected
Wikipedias) [1] but got no comments on that. I decided to execute the
plan anyway [2] and we got positive feedback, negative feedback and no
feedback at all for some languages. For the negative feedback I did
some reverts [3,4].

There is always guaranteed to be someone who doesn't like the changes.
However, after our request for feedback I am pretty sure that we have
avoided the most unwanted changes. I'm assuming good faith for the
rest of the namespace changes.

> 2.  For each namespace that was changed, was there a corresponding alias
> set up?  Rumor has it that there might be a few cases where that isn't the
> case.

Here are some facts instead:
* Only reported issue I am aware of is at [1], which doesn't look
problematic to me
* Tim who originally reverted the commit approved it again [2]
* I and Siebrand have double checked the commit

> We should get this sorted out before we push on Wednesday.

As far as I am concerned everything is fine and ready for deployment

  -Niklas

[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/107309
[2] https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/3318
[3] https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/4390