Hi, thanks for your response!

First of all, I am not the guy who complained regarding the fact wikis
are not accepted, I am just proposing another idea, but here are
answers:

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Sébastien Santoro
<dereck...@espace-win.org> wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Petr Bena <benap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> One developer recently complained about some freenode policies,
>> specifically that wiki projects (wikipedia etc has some kind of
>> exception) are no longer allowed to be hosted on freenode network,
>> which is supposed to host only opensource projects.
>> It's fact that as
>> the wikimedia project is becoming more large the freenode is getting
>> less and less suitable.
> You have the right to say anything, you've the duty to prove it.
>
> Could you support your three claims:
> (i) only open source projects are allowed on Freenode
> (ii) Wikimedia has an exception
> (iii) Freenode can't scale with Wikimedia projects growth

1: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC/Hosts#See_also there is a reference
2: Wikipedia channels are allowed, the mere fact that others are not
makes it an exception
3: I never said that

> According http://freenode.net/policy.shtml, are accepted:
> "Non-Software-Related Peer-Directed Project. Per the PDPC charter,
> channels which serve projects combining open, informal participation
> and broadly-licensed, widely-disseminated creative output are
> considered to be on-topic. If you believe your non-software project
> may meet the criteria for a non-software peer-directed project, please
> consult a staffer or email support at freenode dot net. "
>
>> (...)
>> I would like to propose another idea, and that is, instead of leaving
>> freenode, to improve the relations with the freenode staff and
>> eventually ask them to change some of the restrictions to fit better
>> to our needs
> Please provide us a list of issues we currently have and the solutions.
>
> I fear you're doing a bold move made under false assumptions.
> Our relations with the Freenode staff seems to be rather good and the
> current statu quo works well.

I already provided this list, just read either the
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC/Hosts#See_also or the previous
e-mail

>>  On other hand we could offer them various services in
>> return, for example the wikimedia foundation has made few donations to
>> freenode in past. If we consider the amount of hardware resources we
>> have, it shouldn't be problem to offer freenode for example a
>> dedicated or virtual server running on our cluster, which could host
>> one or more of their ircd servers (our technical / operation community
>> is far larger than freenode's so there should be absolutely no problem
>> setting this up and keeping it maintained).
> Do you have any idea how much maintenance requires an IRC server?

Yes, I am an irc operator on one

> Do you have any idea of the impact (DDoS flood for example) an IRC
> server have to a network?

Yes

> Do you have any idea of the skills, the time, the social contacts and
> the energy required to maintain an IRC server?

Yes

> Do you know how many corporates, universities linked to networks like
> UnderNet, EFnet, IRCNet and Dalnet decided to not fight anymore those
> battles and canceled their support?

No, neither I understand why you ask that

> I know we're on Freenode, a quieter network, but still... these are
> experiences to take in account to avoid to find problems.
>
>> of long term support to freenode network in return for their services
>> they offer to wikimedia project and it could eventually improve the
>> relations with freenode so they would allow to improve some of their
>> policies, specifically:
>>
>> - The wiki-projects (which are often related to mediawiki software or
>> developers, even some other companies / projects are affiliated with
>> MW development) should be allowed to be hosted on freenode, so that
>> the community of these projects shouldn't find it so hard to reach the
>> technical support of mediawiki (right now they would have to be on
>> multiple networks given that #mediawiki is hosted on freenode, but
>> wiki projects in general are not allowed to be hosted there)
> Please give us two samples of wiki projects who wanted to be on
> Freenode but couldn't.

Again, I am not the guy complaining about this, I just come with
another idea than proposed on wiki page, ask the guy who had troubles
registering their project on freenode.

> Please back your claim with prove people from any wiki would want:
> (i) to be on IRC
> (ii) to have a regular channel
> (iii) to have this regular channel on the Freenode network
> (iv) don't already have it / be denied / etc.
>
>> - There is a limit defined by freenode to have maximal number of 4
>> Group contacts, who are people dealing with cloaks and various staff
>> related issues. The wikimedia project currently have 4 Group contacts,
>> so it's quite impossible to enlarge this team. Right now it takes some
>> time for cloak requests to be processed and in future this number of
>> people could not be sufficient. Freenode should make it possible for
>> large projects like wikimedia to have some better options.
> What the IRC Group think about that?
>
>> - Technical channels have lot of services like nagios bots, these bots
>> are getting often killed for flooding, because they need to send a lot
>> of text in short time, it should be possible to define exceptions for
>> these services to allow sending bigger amount of data in channels
> They're automatically killed or by ircops?

They are killed by limits (ircd)

> If it's the first, we should configure them correctly, as it's an issue.
>
> For example, look the eggdrop source code.There are 3 messages queues,
> one "quick" processing virtually immediately, the "serv" as a regular
> rate and the "help" which is throttled to avoid flood. Those settings
> work since 1996. We could go read them, test them and recommend them
> as best practices.

I already proposed this once, response by people who operate these
bots was: "there should be possibility to give some exception to
these."

On other hand, the network services (u:lines) do have this exception.
I don't think anyone would like to wait for chanserv 40 seconds to
print its help. Just as when something went wrong on production there
is a little point in waiting 2 minutes for nagios to print the
messages.

> --
> Sébastien Santoro aka Dereckson
> http://www.dereckson.be/

Your e-mail is definitely partially correct, but keep in mind that I
am proposing wikimedia operation to offer a long term donation to
freenode in form of server hosting, and I still don't see a simple
reason why not to do that.