On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:08 PM, Petr Bena <benap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But I am not talking about creating a new network, but providing some
> of our resources to freenode. They would likely operate and manage it
> without assistance from wmf ops.

(Last I saw) Freenode wants full root access on the boxes, Something
that ops more than likely won't want to do if its sitting on our
networks.

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:11 PM, Petr Bena <benap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On other hand I disagree that maintaining an irc network is so
> complicated, given that we have so many volunteers who would
> eventually help with that. But staying on freenode would make it
> easier for us, that's true.

One of the reason the ops (Tim S. especially) like our current IRC
setup is because its turn on and forget about it for a few years, That
would more than likely not be if the case if we started opening up for
people to talk on it and etc, where as we currently have a fully
functioning and "fine" system operating system (which no one has
really given any reasons against really, apart from the group contacts
thing, which i see as a non issue at current).