Okay - just had a long chat with some staffers in #Freenode.  Here's what I've
come away with..

Essentially folks are right that this policy is very much in flux.  Which leads
me to believe that some nudging from Wikimedia would be well timed.

They have agreed to reconsider WikiQueer's app - but that whole process has
been shut down while they review this policy - so that could be a few months.
Personally I take that as a good sign.

I think they're just not really clear how wiki communities work - so are not
sure which are within their scope and which are not.  There is also a lot of
internal debate over what their founding documents mean.  Some say they include
open-content projects and other say that was meant to mean open-source software
only.

They were generally uninformed and unaware of how wikis operate - and were
surprised that there were "Wikipedia like" wikis beyond the Wikimedia umbrella.
 Which implies to me a basic "cultural" misunderstanding that could be
addressed.

I'd suggest we pursue the initial idea from Petr as a good first step.  We
should be good stewards and outreach to their staff about our bot and tech
related concerns - offer some thoughts on if or how wikis fit into Freenode's
mission - and find out what resources they're in need of.  I'm not sure if that
should come from a WMF staffer, one of the existing FN contacts for WM, a
coalition of the willing, an owl with a note, or..

-greg