Jon Robson wrote:
> Personally I don't like these keywords in bugzilla __at all__ and don't use
> them. This is mostly because I think they are extremely hidden in the
> interface.
>
> From my point of view bugzilla should provide a status: 'in review'
> alongside 'new', 'unconfirmed', 'resolved' and 'assigned'

It'd be nice if the statuses weren't all shouted and single words. INREVIEW
is pretty unpleasant.

> This would be useful for cases where a pull request has been sent or a
> patch attached - so effectively the ticket has almost been resolved pending
> this last review step.

Right. We've been hitting this more and more lately. It used to be that
you'd commit to SVN, mark the bug as fixed, and then if your revision was
reverted, the bug would be reopened by the person doing the reverting. With
Git, the development workflow has changed, so it makes sense to adjust
Bugzilla's workflow as necessary.

> I find the status filter much more useful and would allow me to easily see
> what bugs needs review. It also helps me filter the bug list to attempt to
> solve things that haven't been tackled.

You should be able to just as easily filter by keyword, but this isn't to
suggest that I disagree with your broader points (more below).

> If I review a patch or a pull request and don't think it's suitable then I
> would propose that we mark it as REOPENED. This at least signals to the
> provider of the patch that more work needs to be done.
>
> Thoughts?

I think we should take a holistic approach to the Bugzilla workflow. I was
hoping the incoming Wikimedia Foundation entomologist would work on this.
It'd be great to fix one aspect of bug filing (such as the use of keywords),
but it'd be even better to take a look at the entire workflow and figure out
ways to make it suck less.

For example, the high-level categorizations are pretty awful currently. What
is and is not a product is inconsistent and confusing. I started some notes
about this at
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Bugzilla_taxonomy>.

Perhaps that page could/should be re-titled to "Bugzilla workflow" and we
could address a few outstanding Bugzilla workflow problems at once?

MZMcBride