On 01/09/12 03:48, Derric Atzrott wrote:
> I wouldn't rely too much on the Squids.  They do an excellent job, but
> thinking
> of those of us who use Mediawiki outside the foundation, I would much rather
> see
> an intelligent thumbnail generating and caching scheme that doesn't rely on
> Squid being present.

We've been relying on Squid being present for years. Squid does a good
job of LRU caching, it's fast and the size is ample. It's persistent,
storing thumbnails on disk (some servers have flash). It would take a
lot of work to do something as good as it in the backend.

If we wanted a greater cold cache capacity, then we could add more
image scalers.

Video transcoding is an exception, but it needs to be handled
separately anyway, because you can't run an hour-long transcoding job
with no concurrency control, no error handling and no user feedback
(progress bars etc.).

-- Tim Starling