On Sep 19, 2012, at 2:57 AM, "Helder ." <helder.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Jon Robson <jdlrob...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Commons it seems to take 5 seconds to disappear which is too long as at
>> this point I'm wondering how to dismiss it.
> I think the time should depend on the length of the message.
> The watchlist notification in Portuguese has ~46 words,
> and if I didn't know what it was saying, that information would be lost.
> Maybe it should allow us to see previous notifications by clicking somewhere.
>
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Rob Moen <rm...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> Not sure if this is a known issue, but the notification is at the top of the
>> document regardless of where you are on the page.  Meaning if I'm at the
>> bottom of a long article, I have to scroll up to the top to see the bubble.
>> Should it not be relative to the scroll position?
>>
>> I noticed this by firing off a mw.notify('hi james') in the console at the
>> bottom of a long article.  This may have gone unnoticed as it seems
>> mw.notify is only triggered by UI components at the top of the page.
>
> +1. This is bothering me as well.
>
> Helder

I agree.

Just for the record though, lets not forget what it was just weeks ago:

* Only one message at a time, new one wiped previous one from existence
unconditionally
* No way to close it
* Took up full width
* At the top of the page (still)
* Bumped down the article by the height of the message

So we are making some progress here.

Suggestions I saw so far in this thread:
* Notification queue should follow scroll position (fixed position)
* Add close button (even when they close regardless of click target, as visual
clue)
* Extend base framework for universal layout of messages. We already have
title/body,
  to be extended with icon and buttons.

One potential problem with making them appear mid-page (fixed queue) is when the
bottom of the page is reached. It should then start a new column to the left.
Other wise it will continue down the page where it can't be seen due the queue
following the scroll position.

Another thing I don't like is how they move up in the queue one after another.
What I like about Growl and Notification Center is that messages stay fixed
where they first appear. And new messages are added to the bottom (or next
column), or, when the first position is available again, it will re-use those
positions again.

That way users don't have to re-focus constantly and follow where which message
went when dismissing some of them. This gets more important as we start to
introduce notifications that do user interactions (sticky ones, which should not
move but be sticky).

However that brings another problem: Resizing the window. The spreading of
messages over multiple columns would have to either be re-build after resizing
the window.

-- Krinkle