On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 15:03:04 -0700, Steven Walling <steven.wall...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:09 PM, Erik Moeller <e...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

Is the system documented somewhere already so gadget/script authors
can start using it?

+1 to docs for this, please. :)

My other question is similar to what Andrew asked earlier: what potential
is there for including something more than just strings?

My team just finished up a test where simple "your edit was saved"
confirmation messages lead to a significant bump in the editing activity of
newbies on English Wikipedia.[1] The only core differences between the
custom notification we built and bubble notifications are that it was
center-aligned and that it included a checkmark icon. I would prefer to
build on top of this if we're going to try and make an edit confirmation
message a part of MediaWiki.

mw.notify accepts DOM nodes and jQuery objects. So you can add in whatever html you want by parsing it into dom. mw.notify also accepts mw.Message objects so you can use `mw.notify( mw.message( 'foo' ) );` and it'll be parsed.

Steven

1. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Post-edit_feedback