On 19/11/12 10:04, Daniel Friesen wrote:
> My favorite right now is "en.wp.w.mf". Unless you want to spend
> $100,000. ;) In which case we could revive the age old wish of a .wiki
> tld, grab some short names for wmf wikis, and make .wiki available for
> registration of all wiki.
>
> I also like the idea of including a subdomain/path besides the short
> ID like en.wp.??? so that you can actually understand what site you
> are going to.

There is a tradeoff between providing information and actually
managing to shorten the URL.

Providing a traditional URL shortener with traditional features would
be useful, at least for some people, and would eliminate the need to
use third-party URL shorteners internally, which have a commercial
focus and unknown lifetime. If there was no integration with MW
required, it would only take a couple of hours to set up.

-- Tim Starling