There are some practical reasons for providing site specific domain
shortening beyond owning a cool domain hack.

Discouraging the use of third party shorteners has real value.  The
web getting littered with urls that camouflage their destination, are
tied to loss making commercial entities of unpredictable lifetime (eg
tr.im), or tied to very well funded commercial entities that choose a
ccTLD of unpredictable stability (eg bit.ly) is a bad thing.
Providing the option of a short url that achieves whatever benefit was
sought without breaking the way the web is supposed to work is a good
thing.

Email used to be problematic for url sharing, as line breaks inserted
at 70 characters would mean the recipient needed to notice that some
urls had been chopped  and reassemble them.  This is probably only
true for mailing lists now, as people who deliberately use a plain
text only email client in 2012 will experience obtrusive side effects
from senders only providing an HTML MIME part regularly.  URL chopping
will not be their major annoyance.  Mailing lists still routinely
strip attachments and encodings from mail that they propagate.

Mobile generally and twitter specifically are the most often cited
justifications now. Aside from the obvious message length limits,
cutting and pasting long strings can be hard on a small screen so
people are in the short url habit.

Twitter is an annoying use case, as even if presented with a short url
it currently replaces it with a potentially longer t.co url.

If all the project does is reduces the use of third party services
that can permanently or transiently fail, can hide links to malware,
break search engine rankings and search behaviour, and provide others
with analytic insight into potentially sensitive user click throughs
it is a good thing.

Luke Welling

PS my unobtainable cool domain hack of choice would be en.cy (but
Cyprus don't do top level subdomains and require local presence)