On Nov 21, 2012, at 7:23 PM, S Page <sp...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I have vim set up [..]

That's great. If you're using a different editor, here's a list if all kinds of
platforms and editors and how to use jshint in them:

http://jshint.com/platforms/

On Nov 21, 2012, at 7:23 PM, S Page <sp...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Should we be using .jshintrc per directory or lines like
> /*jshint multistr:true */
> at the top of files?  Or both?

Neither. Place .jshintrc in the root directory of the repository. JSHint
travels up until it finds it. Falling back ~/.jshintrc in your home directory
(e.g. for files not in a repository but just loose somewhere, opening them up
in your editor would use that).

Although having it in your editor is nice, but for massive (recursive) running
against a repository you can install jshint (npm install -g jshint). Used like
"$ jshint ." (recursively the current directory), or pass it the path to a
directory or file.

JSHint has had many versions and the behaviour of some rules has changed over
the years. So make sure you run against the same (latest) version we use on the
cluster (i.e. the version that matters, for jenkins, 0.9.1 currently).

Some editors have their own (possibly outdated) copy of jshint (I know
SublimeLinter had an old version for a while). If you have node-jshint
installed, I'd recommend configuring the linter plugin of your editor to shell
out to your version of jshint (if it supports that).

-- Krinkle