On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Matthew Flaschen
<mflasc...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On 12/11/2012 03:02 PM, Brion Vibber wrote:
>> However, every other mobile browser I've tested doesn't support Ogg Theora
>> or WebM formats. Mobile Safari, Chrome, the old stock Android browser,
>> Opera Mobile, and the IE 10 engine in our Windows 8 tablet app will show
>> the thumbnail, but won't play the video because they need MP4/H.264.
>
> Did you test WebM in Android Browser 2.3+ or Chrome for Android 18+ (I
> think this is latest).
>
> http://caniuse.com/webm says those support WebM, but I have not verified.

I was able to play the WebM file of the locomotive on the front page
of https://commons.wikimedia.org just now on my Nexus 7 using Chrome,
so at least on very new stock Android devices, all is well.  My much
older Galaxy S didn't fare so well, though, so I would be willing to
believe that Android devices with proper WebM support are still
relatively rare.  That said, the replacement rate for this hardware is
frequent enough that it won't be long before my Nexus 7 is "much
older".

Rob