On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Michael Dale <md...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I think this relates to the page not being purged after the transcodes are
> updated. If you purge the page, will probably give the nexus a more
> playable flavour.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**Serge_Haroche<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serge_Haroche>should
>  work on your nexus now ;)
>
> TMH should add page purge to the job queue, but not sure why that page had
> not been purged yet.

Aha! That could explain it yes.

> I also notice that the <source> elements in the <video> seem to start with
>
>> the original, and aren't labeled with types or codecs. This means that
>> without the extra Kaltura player JS -- for instance as we see it on the
>> mobile site right now -- the browser may not be able to determine which
>> file is playable or best-playable.
>>

> For correctness we should include "type". But I don't know if that will
> help, the situation you describe.
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/**r/#/c/38665/<https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/38665/>
>
> But certainly will help in the other ways you outline in the bug 43101

Awesome, thanks! I'll test it out and make sure it does what I expect...
currently cloning MediaWiki again in my Linux VM so I can use libav on it
without having to compile it under OSX ("all the fun of old proprietary
Unix under the hood!"), so will probably test it a bit later. :)

> AFAIK there are no standard source tag attributes to represent device
> specific playback targets ( other than type ), so we set a few in data-*
> tags and read them within the kaltura html5 lib to do flavour selection.
>
> We of course use the Kaltura HTML5 lib on lots of mobile devices, so if
> you want to explore usage in the mobile app happy to support. For example
> including the payload into the application itself ( so its not a page view
> time )

I'll explore that as well. Spiffy!

-- brion