On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Brion Vibber <bvib...@wikimedia.org>wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Rob Lanphier <ro...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>> I was able to play the WebM file of the locomotive on the front page
>> of https://commons.wikimedia.org just now on my Nexus 7 using Chrome,
>> so at least on very new stock Android devices, all is well.  My much
>> older Galaxy S didn't fare so well, though, so I would be willing to
>> believe that Android devices with proper WebM support are still
>> relatively rare.  That said, the replacement rate for this hardware is
>> frequent enough that it won't be long before my Nexus 7 is "much
>> older".

I can play the current media on the front page of Commons in Chrome on my
Nexus 7, but it won't play in position on either desktop <
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serge_Haroche> or mobile <
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serge_Haroche> ...

Sigh. :)

Still some work to be done on compatibility...

I also notice that the <source> elements in the <video> seem to start with
the original, and aren't labeled with types or codecs. This means that
without the extra Kaltura player JS -- for instance as we see it on the
mobile site right now -- the browser may not be able to determine which
file is playable or best-playable.

This may be contributing to the rrreeeeaaalllyyy slow performance I see on
our FirefoxOS test device -- which understands Ogg Theora and WebM but has
no hardware acceleration for them, and a relatively slow processor. If it's
pulling a 1920x1080 original to play on a 320x480 screen, it's going to be
slower than it needs to be.

-- brion