On 12/18/2012 11:21 AM, Chad wrote:
On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Quim Gil <q...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
* @wikimediatech is fine as a bot driven account. As soon as I find out who
has access to that account I will propose a rename to something 'mediawiki'
for naming consistency (privately, this is like discussing domain names).
Followers will be unaffected.

This shouldn't be renamed imho, since it's not about MediaWiki--it's about
Wikimedia tech generally.

We agree on the meaning. Let's try to agree on the words.

This is a side effect of this ambiguous use of "MediaWiki" / "Wikimedia-tech" that we haven't resolved yet.

"MediaWiki" as in MediaWiki project, MediaWiki community, MediaWiki groups... Not just MediaWiki Core.

For outsiders, we can be found at mediawiki.org and therefore it's easy to identify us as MediaWiki. It's also easy to explain that MediaWiki powers Wikipedia. But explaining Wikimedia is more complex, and then making a cut to isolate "Wikimedia tech" is just too much for the casual reader.

Hence the idea of simplifying with MediaWiki as a general term.

For instance, the proposal says:

Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil