---- Original Message -----
> From: "Marc A. Pelletier" <m...@uberbox.org>

> On 02/22/2013 10:43 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> > So, then, all OpenID guarantees is "this provider says it's the same
> > person it was last time"?
>
> The exact semantics is, IIRC, "that person has presented credential to
> us we accept as identifying them as our user $IDENTIFIER". Whether the
> client trusts that $IDENTIFIER is reasonably stable for their
> purposes, or that they trust our word, is their call.

I'm translating that as "yes".  :-)

I've always looked with rather a jaundiced eye at OpenID, as it was sold
as "you can run your own authenticator service", and that always struck me
as "I am who I say I am", which is, obviously, pretty useless, in the
general case.  (Early examples showed login boxes where you *provided
the URL of a random OID provider*; clearly, if the site doesn't trust
said provider, the transaction is useless.)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       j...@baylink.com