So I definitely see the use case for OpenID as a provider (and as long as
everybody is aware that OpenID is not OAuth, I'm fine with that), but I'm
not a bot/tool developers. I am, however, a frequent user of the Internet,
and I find it extraordinarily surprising that Wikipedia is one of the few
sites still out there that doesn't have some sort of OpenID login. My main
question is that if we're really taking the time to deploy Extension:OpenID
on WMF wikis, why not put in the extra ten seconds to also allow consumers.
People keep going on about how the account creation process is ugly and
needs to be re-designed, and yet with OpenID it takes three clicks to
register an account, and especially with the recent version push Thomas
did, it's better than ever.

Some sites, like Stack Overflow, allow you to add alternate OpenIDs,
> which helps for temporary or permanent downtime.

E:OpenID does this as well, not to mention you can always set a password
and login traditionally.

*--*
*Tyler Romeo*
Major in Computer Science