On 03/20/2013 04:43 PM, Quim Gil wrote:
It's time to start defining what we want our Google Summer of Code to be
all about. Let's look at the ideas we are proposing to potential students:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mentorship_programs/Possible_projects

Edits fine tuning the descriptions of these projects are welcome in this wiki page.

(...)

After this filtering, we seem to be left with:

In the meantime I'm updating the list of project ideas we want to present to GSOC students at

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Summer_of_Code_2013

Note that the project ideas are that: ideas. Suggestions for students. In our GSOC proposal we will need to find a balance between being generic and flexible about the types of projects we welcome, and also provide examples for newcomers to get the point.

A key factor of the selected ideas will be the availability of mentors in that area and the feasibility of its implementation and deployment.

But what really counts are the projects presented by the students, inspired from the ideas proposed. The inspiration might be a full copy of the idea by someone with the skills to implement it, or might be something different yet very interesting.

We'll see. This is one of the various iterations we will do in the following weeks.

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation