On 16/04/13 10:12, Mathieu Stumpf wrote:
This night as was thinking about some tools which may be useful to help
me improve some wikipedia article. Lately I began to participate in a
discussion aiming to improve the french "philosophie" article plan[1].
So to achieve our goal, I began to look at how other chapters use it, to
establish a differential overview, and hopefuly produce a better plan
than what the current french article provide. In this project, I've been
helped by the fact that interlang links come with a star when the
article was elected "featured article". Of course I don't speak all this
languages, but translation software are often enough for my purpose of
comparating tables of content.

I was thinking about this too. It would be useful not only to editors but to multilingual readers as well, since they could decide which version of the article they want to read.

Now I think that would be intereting to have:
* an opt-in feature to display more information along interlang links,
like size (in octet or number of symbols), view count, edit count, etc.

It should be possible to make a tool that does this on the Toolserver. I don't think it could be done so that this information is displayed for every article since it would be very slow. Maybe in future information about article size, view count etc. could be on Wikidata, that should allow for faster tools.

Article size should be adjusted for differences between languages, and I am not sure how to do that. It should probably be good enough to compare the sizes of a freshly-translated large article on two Wikipedias and use that for approximation of all articles, but I don't think anyone has done that and made a list of compared sizes.

View/edit count could be obtained from stats.grok.se and would probably only be relevant in relation to overal view/edit count of the Wikipedia.

* a tool which gather article plans of (selected) interlang relative
articles, auto-translate them to a target language and display the result.

I even made something like this: http://sr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%81%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA:%D0%9D%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%B0_%D0%A1%D0%BC%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%BD%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8/InterlanguageTranslate.js

It displayed a link to Google Translate next to every interlanguage link, so you could easily see translated articles. Apparently it no longer works, but I guess someone could adjust it to the new JS framework.