Here's my take on it:

From the design perspective, SpecialPages are superior. It's one of the
most mature controlling units in MediaWiki, primarily because current
special pages do so many complex things there has developed a need for
abstraction that handles many use cases. Actions, on the other hand, are on
the verge of deprecation. In fact, many of the Actions in MediaWiki right
now are literally fancy wrappers for function calls on an Article object.

However, from the URI perspective, Actions make sense. Since the
information is directly related to the page, having the page's URI as the
base makes logical sense. It's much better for the forms for deleting a
page to be at http://mywiki/wiki/MyPage?action=delete then for it to be at
http://mywiki/wiki/Special:Delete/MyPage, because the delete action is
something be applied to the page, not the other way around.

With that in mind, I strongly recommend using a SpecialPage, because the
infrastructure is better and eventually plans will be implemented to make
the URI scheme for page-centric special pages more logical.

*-- *
*Tyler Romeo*
Major in Computer Science
www.whizkidztech.com | tylerro...@gmail.com