On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 16:02:56 -0700, Jeroen De Dauw <jeroended...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey,

Perhaps I have some misconceptions here, but was the Action class not
"recently" (~1.18) introduced, and is it not required to use actions to
specify behaviours for alternate content models?

Cheers

--
Jeroen De Dauw
http://www.bn2vs.com

Actions have existed for a long time before the Action class was created. The Action class basically migrated a bunch of actions we already had. And created yet another way of defining an action.
1.4+ hack into the UnknownAction hook
1.12+ use them MediaWikiPerformAction hook
1.18+ define an Action subclass
((Yes, all three of these still work))
;) and for bonus points even though we have action classes now. The code for a number of these actions is STILL inside the Article class.

The Action class basically made it in besides a number of us objecting, groaning, and *facepalm*ing at the idea.

As for requiring actions for alternate content models. That was just a plain bad idea.