On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 13:07:20 -0700, Matthew Flaschen <mflasc...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

On 04/23/2013 09:58 AM, Daniel Friesen wrote:
Mind pointing out what is messy about special pages? If you've got an
actual issue with them some of us would probably like to actually fix it.
Cause actions were in fact the older interface. Till one or two people
attempted to bring them up to date with the SpecialPage system that
superseded actions entirely.

The special page system clearly did not supersede actions entirely, or
e.g. action=history would have become a special page.

Matt Flaschen

Fine, it's legacy, un-explicitly deprecated.
Just like legacy skins based directly on Skin instead of SkinTempate was for years.

And in the future &action=history very likely WILL become a SpecialPage, or something like it.
We just don't use actions for anything new we create, period.