On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Greg Grossmeier <g...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Yep, Robla's creating that sample calendar now.
>
> My reasoning for removing that initial separation that may be faulty:
>
> We're running automated and non-automated tests against betalabs, and
> that has started producing results (bugs reported and fixed before it
> was ever included in a wmfXX branch). Also, the majority of bugs that
> are in the Highest/Immediate priority level (from my gut assessment, I
> don't have the data here) are found after a deploy to non-WP projects.
>
> Thus, in a way, the non-WP projects really are our betatesters in all
> practicalities. That's my opinion at least. I'll work with Andre to get
> some numbers on this, if we can (date blocker bugs reported against our
> historic deploy calendar).
>
> I'm pretty sure this email will have a mid-air collision with Robla and
> his writeup of the proposal you outlined, Brad.

I'm all for a move to a one-week cycle. I think it's a good sign that even
discussing moving to a one-week cycle brings up a review of how and where
we're catching critical bugs, ala the above comments from Greg, Sumana,
etc. Weekly deployments pushing us all to be more diligent about this stuff
sounds like a good thing, even if it may feel intense pre/post the switch
in the short term.

--
Steven Walling
https://wikimediafoundation.org/