On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:19 AM, Risker <risker...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You pretty much had one chance at A/B testing, and it's done now.  You
> can't repeat the tests as long as VE is the default editor.

That's not correct at all. It's still entirely possible to deliver
different editing environments to randomized sets of new users, through the
magic of software. We should be replicating a similar A/B test of VE again
in my opinion.

This kind of testing isn't easy the first time you do it. What was supposed
to be a week-long test (the usual minimum amount of time we look at
editor-related features) had to be pared down to just three days of data,
which is unfortunate but not entirely unexpected considering we had never
done this kind of data collection with VE before.

Three days of data produced from a period where, as Erik noted, there were
major errors with the browser blacklist and other issues likely means that
the negative results were due to VE simply being buggy pre-launch in June.
Aaron says this in his draft conclusions: "As mentioned in the discussion
of Quantity of contribution, several known and unknown VisualEditor bugs
may have prevented newcomers from saving changes to articles. The decreased
probability of successfully saving an edit discussed above could be the
result of such bugs."[1] In the meantime, the VE team has responded by
fixing numerous bugs in the month following.

If you want to understand what the test results suggest, particularly
regarding the future steps in evaluating VE from a quantitative standpoint
should be, I believe Aaron is working on suggestions for further testing.

Steven

1.
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:VisualEditor%27s_effect_on_newly_registered_editors/Results#Summary