On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 4:32 PM, Subramanya Sastry
<ssas...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On 07/22/2013 10:44 PM, Tim Starling wrote:
>>
>> Round-trip bugs, and bugs which cause a given wikitext input to give
>> different HTML in Parsoid compared to MW, should have been detected
>> during automated testing, prior to beta deployment. I don't know why
>> we need users to report them.
>

> 500+ edits are being done per hour using Visual Editor [1] (less at this
> time given that it is way past midnight -- I have seen about 700/hour at
> times).  I did go and click on over 100 links and examined the diffs.  I did
> that twice in the last hour.  I am happy to report clean diffs on all edits
> I checked both times.
>
> I did run into a couple of nowiki-insertions which
> is, strictly speaking not erroneous and based on user input, but is more a
> usability issue.

What is a dirty diff?  One that inserts junk unexpectedly, unrelated
to the user's input?

The broken table injection bugs are still happening.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sai_Baba_of_Shirdi&curid=144175&diff=565442800&oldid=565354286

If the parser isnt going to be fixed quickly to ignore tables it
doesnt understand, we need to find the templates and pages with these
broken tables - preferably using SQL and heuristics and fix them.  The
same needs to be done for all the other wikis, otherwise they are
going to have the same problems happening randomly, causing lots of
grief.

I presume this is also a dirty diff

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Dubbing_%28filmmaking%29&curid=8860&diff=565438776&oldid=565408739

In addition to nowikis, there are also wikilinks that are not what the
user intended

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ben_Tre&curid=1822927&diff=565439119&oldid=561995413
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Celton_Manx&curid=28176434&diff=565439020&oldid=565436056

Here is three edits to try to add a section header and a sentence,
with a wikilink in the section header.
(In the process they added other junk into the page, probably unintentionally.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Port_of_Davao&action=history&offset=2013072307&limit=4

A leading line feed in a parameter - what the?

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_Sam_%26_Cat_episodes&curid=39469556&diff=565437324&oldid=565416618

External links which should be converted to internal links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Krishna_%28TV_series%29&diff=565437699&oldid=564621100

That is all in the last hour, and I've only checked ~100 diffs.

I appreciate that some of these are a result of user input, and the RC
feed of non-VE edits will have similar problems exhibited by newbies,
albeit different because it is the source editor.  And it is great to
see so many constructive VE edits.  But you're not going to get much
love by claiming that it is now stable and not causing broken diffs.
In addition, VE can crash a Google Chrome tab, and it can cause
(unsaved changes) dataloss in most browser configurations.

--
John Vandenberg