<quote name="Tyler Romeo" date="2013-08-20" time="10:50:23 -0400">
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:
>
> > (And if the user preference isn't meant to serve those who can't use
> > HTTPS, who is it intended to serve?)
> >

> My point is that it doesn't matter what your user preference is. Whether
> it's false or true, you still have to log in over HTTPS. In other words,
> the user preference has no effect on your ability to use the site.

One group of users that is always being forgotten in this discussion is
the group who use Wikipedia over really crappy connections that aren't
censoring them. These users will have a hard time using an SSL
connection due to the added resources/round trips and have a legitimate
non-China/NSA excuse to disable HTTPS after they login (where the added
roundtrips are probably worthwhile to keep their username/password
safe).

Greg

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |