On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 11:07 AM, James Alexander
<jalexan...@wikimedia.org>wrote:

> * The 'force https' preference is an option that is, by default, turned
> off.

It is turned on by default when $wgSecureLogin is enabled.

> * However, for most wikis (not all), force https login is turned on.

That will be the case come tomorrow, yes.

> * Because forced https login is turned on the 'default' for those people
> will be to move from an https login to an https page because our normal
> workflow is to always keep you on https if you are already on https (if you
> are on page X, like a login page, in https then the next page X2 is also in
> https).

Yes, this is correct.

> * However, if you drop yourself down to http (for example just load the
> page in http by dropping the s from the address bar and pressing enter) you
> will not be forced back to https by default for the same reason (our normal
> workflow) assuming that you have not turned on the https preference.

No, it will put you back on HTTPS as that was the default. You
have to turn the preference off.

> * If you login from an http (non secure) login page such as zhWiki or
> faWiki you will be able to remain logged in while going to a non secure
> wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org ) and not be forced to https (unless
> you
> selected that in your preference).

Preferences are local, so unless the local preference has been
set to false, you would end up on HTTPS.

> On a side note: I assume the preference is wiki based rather then global?

Correct.

I'm beginning to think there's a disconnect between what we coded
and what people expect. The preference is *on* by default which I
think is what's going to cause problems. We can change defaults
before tomorrow so I think we should all be clear.

-Chad