On 20 August 2013 22:22, Erik Moeller <e...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 12:46 PM, George William Herbert
> <george.herb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The change must be delayed until people geographically / nationally
> denied HTTPS can log in again.
>
> Tim's working on a patch that should make this possible:
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/80166/
>
> The plan of record right now is to not make the switch til we have
> that merged & tested. We may still be able to make the launch window
> tomorrow - RobLa will make the final call on that.

Very good, this is the step that needed to be taken so that users who are
unable to use HTTPS can still contribute to our knowledge base - which is
the primary focus of the WMF.

> Ideally I'd like to see the language-based blacklisting removed if the
> GeoIP-based solution works.
>
> In general, though, I'd prefer for WMF to move away from what could be
> characterized as appeasement and towards actively resisting censorship
> and monitoring. So I'd argue in favor of a deadline for this approach,
> and alignment of resources and alliances to take active measures
> against censorship and monitoring.

Perhaps then you might want to re-familiarize yourself with the WMF's
policy on political advocacy, particularly the section on "Promotional use
of website assets" and "Movement Partnerships" (although the latter is a
bit of a stretch).[1] I think that would best describe the proposal here,
to politicize the manner in which *registered contributors* are able to
contribute to the vast array of WMF projects.  I do understand why this is
important to a lot of people, and I do get that logging in under HTTPS is
more secure than logging in under HTTP. But at the same time, the WMF's
primary mission is to "empower and engage people around the world to
collect and develop educational content".[2]  Wikimedia's values include
"encouraging the development of free-content educational resources that may
be created, used, and reused by the entire human community. We believe that
this mission requires thriving open formats and open standards on the web
to allow the creation of content not subject to restrictions on creation,
use, and reuse." [3]

Note now none of them say "the WMF technical team can unilaterally take
actions that may affect the ability of users to register an account or for
registered contributors to participate in the WMF's primary mission."  For
that, you need to actively persuade the community in general that this is
necessary, and possibly even the Board of Trustees.

Risker

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Legal_and_Community_Advocacy/Foundation_Policy_and_Political_Association_Guideline#Promotional_Use_of_Website_Assets
[2] https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Mission