On 08/20/2013 11:05 PM, Risker wrote:
> Perhaps then you might want to re-familiarize yourself with the WMF's
> policy on political advocacy

I'm sorry Risker, but you've got this backwards.  Making a long-overdue
/minimal/ fix to our login process is not political advocacy.
Compromising the security and privacy of our editors for the sake of a
government's censorship policies, *is*.

The very idea that editors with checkuser or oversight might even be
*able* to login in cleartext over an Internet we *know* is monitored by
entities that are demonstrably hostile to privacy is worrying enough on
its own without introducing additional flaws in the process.

I don't even agree that an exception should be made to allow cleartext
logins from regions which are even *more* hostile to privacy than the
United States; and I would have advocated that no account with bits
should be allowed to do so regardless of location.

Nevertheless, engineering has been bending over backwards to accommodate
as many editors with crippled Internet access as is possible; inventing
bogeymen and quoting misapplied bits of policy around ("promotional
use"? Really?) is an extraordinary show of bad faith.

-- Marc