On 12/11/13, Tyler Romeo <tylerro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Jon Robson <jdlrob...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Many a time I've talked about this I've hit the argument that gerrit is
>> confusing to some users and is a barrier for development, but this is a
>> terrible unacceptable attitude to have in my opinion. Our end users
>> deserve
>> a certain standard of code. I'm aware using a code review process can slow
>> things down but I feel this is really essential. I for one greatly benefit
>> from having every single piece of my code scrutinized and perfected before
>> being consumed by a wider audience. If this is seen as a barrier, someone
>> should investigate making it possible to send wiki edits to Gerrit to
>> simplify that process.
>>

> I can definitely understand the reasoning behind this. Right now with both
> Gadgets and common.js we are allowing non-reviewed code to be injected
> directly into every page. While there is a bit of trust to be had
> considering only administrators can edit those pages, it is still a
> security risk, and an unnecessary one at that.
>
> I like the idea of having gadgets (and any JS code for that matter) going
> through Gerrit for code review. The one issue is the question of where
> would Gadget code go? Would each gadget have its own code repository? Maybe
> we'd have just one repository for all gadgets as well as common.js
> (something like operations/common.js)? I don't think sending wiki edits to
> Gerrit is too feasible a solution, so if this were implemented it'd have to
> be entirely Gerrit-based.
>
> *-- *
> *Tyler Romeo*
> Stevens Institute of Technology, Class of 2016
> Major in Computer Science

One of the primary reasons gadgets/local-js exist is because local
wiki-admins feel that the mediawiki code review process is unavailable
to them. I would expect any sort of code review requirement for
gadgets to meet strong resistance, especially on the smaller wikis.

I also think it would be unenforcable unless one plans to ban personal
js in all forms.

--bawolff