On Jan 9, 2014 5:50 AM, "Inderpreet Singh" <indrp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I am Inderpreet Singh, this is my first mail and I hope I am on
> correct mailing list. I am currently working on an online geometry
> viewer that was developed under BRL-CAD (brlcad.org) as one of it's
> GSOC projects last summer. It's in it's very basic stage. It currently
> allows you to upload a CAD model (.g file) and view it 3D in the
> browser. I was planning to add a feature that would allow users to
> embed their models on websites and share it, (think of it as
> http://codepen.io/ for CAD). Also, we were planning to add a mged
> command interface so that we can edit the CAD model online using mged
> commands. We were having discussions over these when someone among us
> pointed out that there is a need of similar extension for mediawiki. I
> would really love to know more about the requirements and propose
> BRL-CAD (one of the oldest open
> source repositories in world) on a server with web-interface as a full
> open source candidate for the required tool.
>

> --
> Inderpreet Singh
>
> Ekoankar Sahai
> ishwerdas.com
> facebook.com/okayinder
> https://kippt.com/okayinder

Hi,

Thanks for writing. Previous discussions aboit 3d have usually been about
x3d and cml, but i think most people just want a 3d format supported, and
dont care which one (to speak from a wikimedia as opposed to a mediawiki
prespective).

The basic requirements for a 3d viewer extension (somewhat pulled out of my
hat, so some people might have different requitements)

*Secure (obviously very important. No one wants xss in a media viewer. This
also includes other things like not making network fetches on the server
(this came up in the past with some file formats allowing additional files
to be referenced by url))
*should probably allow manipulating the render on the client side (most
people want to pan and zoom the 3d file or they would upload a raster file).
*relatively efficient. Shouldnt take down the servers.
*the php part of the extension should follow mediawiki coding style and
quality standards.
*should have some sort of fallback for non-js clients (e.g. a jpg thumb of
the model)
*all parts open source (sounds like this project has nothing to worry about)

I dont really have time to help with such an effort, but would be happy to
answer any questions about how media handler plugins work in mediawiki (the
docs on that are pretty limited, so don't be afraid to ask). I would also
be happy to look over extension code and give advice.

-bawolff