On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 12:28 AM, Eugene Zelenko
<eugene.zele...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Currently we have a support for .g (BRL-CAD's binary file format)
>> files, but BRL-CAD has a long list of supported formats so anything
>> that BRL-CAD can import will be supported. BRL-CAD can export files as
>> X3D but it cannot import them yet :( . The file formats that BRL-CAD
>> can import are ASCII, AutoCad DXF, Elysium Neutral Facetted, EUCLID,
>> FASTGEN, IGES, Jack, NASTRAN,  STL, TANKILL, Unigraphics and Viewpoint
>> which can then be internally converted to .g file and exported to .obj
>> for 3D online geometry viewer.
>
> I think will be good idea to investigate, if there open 3D formats, i.
> e. non-proprietary and not covered by patents.

 .g format by BRL-CAD is an open format.

I saw in those Ideas page referred by David Cucena, that preferred
format is X3D, I looked around and found that there can be workarounds
through which X3D can be imported in three.js and viewed, same goes
for using OBJ, it can be viewed in three.js but as much as I
understood from http://brlcad.org/VolumeIV-Converting_Geometry.pdf I
don't think we can import them in BRL-CAD yet. There is a GSoC project
this year on importing X3D files in BRL-CAD though, so it's being
worked upon.

BRL-CAD is also currently working on (read about partial support
http://brlcad.org/wiki/STEP)  STEP(Standard for the Exchange of
Product model data) format (ISO_10303), which is the standard open
format for 3D models.

--
Inderpreet Singh

Ekoankar Sahai