On Friday, March 21, 2014, Quim Gil <q...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> The application deadline for GSoC and FOSS OPW has passed. The pool of
> candidates to choose from includes
>
> * 43 GSoC proposals from 42 candidates

From which only 6 have two mentors confirmed in Google Melange today.

13 have one mentor, 22 have not been claimed by any mentor so far. Next
Monday we will start calculating the number of slots we want to request to
Google, and we will only consider projects with two mentors, or with one
mentor and a good reason for an exception.

I have been poking a few candidates and a few potential mentors, but I'm
not insisting. As explained in our selection process, we are evaluating
teams, not just candidates. Some teams have done their homework already,
not just in terms of mentors, and this tells something about their
potential.

> * 18 OPW proposals from 18 candidates, one of them a GSoC candidate as well

Next Monday we will also start calculating the number of OPW slots we aim
for. The confirmation of mentors for OPW proposals is all in all clear, the
remark is that there are no remarks.

There are many projects that have received several proposals. In a few
> hours the dust will settle in the wiki pages, where many candidates are
> currently syncing their information.
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2014
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/FOSS_Outreach_Program_for_Women/Round_8

Wiki pages and official GSoC / OPW listings are aligned.

Everybody is invited to join the selection process.

> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mentorship_programs/Selection_process

This weekend has been very active, with feedback provided by several
contributors in related wiki pages and bug reports. Thank you! Please keep
providing feedback and asking questions. It is extremely useful.

--
Quim Gil
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil