My sentiment here is that all of this has supported every latent
opinion that I had about the project when it was started. Years of
maintaining templates, CSS and Javascript on English Wikipedia had
taught me not to mess with fonts unless it was very targeted
(preferring a specific font for a language fragment or class). It also
taught me that anything like this is factors worse on non-English
wiki's. I think Erwin was sharing those concerns (probably more vocal
than me) for the exact same reason. We might not have been able to
show the evidence beforehand in a nicely written document, but we knew
this was a very risqué operation.
The beta testing had sort of subdued my concerns a bit, but that
turned out to be a false sense of security.

With all the good that has happened on the web over the past 10 years,
there are simply a few areas that are hopelessly stuck in that past,
and those are mostly the areas that are very much bound to (or used to
be bound to) OS functionality. These include for instance:
Audio/Video, accessibility support and fonts !!!

There are very good reasons for why all these areas are in such a bad
shape, history, long support cycles, patents etc. Every time we have
tried to make changes in these areas, we seem to underestimate:
 1. just how far in the past many of the browser+OS configurations are
 2. how much worse 3rd party software can make the situation
 3. how inadequate the existing Free/Open alternatives are (especially
with regard to global scope/big audiences/high performance)
 4. how 'religious' our community is with regard to it's Free/Open foundations.

So for me, the question is not how can we apply pretty serif fonts to
headers, the question is what can we do short term and long term to
make that happen.
Short term:
 * Accept that the current solution is not working
 * Rely on Operating System to make the best choice it can, because we
cannot do better (return to status quo)
 * Accept that maybe it might just not be possible right now
 * Gather statistics on cleartype font rendering (just like we look at tofu).
 * See if there are ways to make the target group to which the font
change is applied narrower/stricter/better defined.

Longer term:
 * Work with font communities to build true usable, enjoyable Free
fonts with global reach.
 * Work with web/browser development communities to make web fonts
more efficient
 * Work with OS vendors to make sure they are committed to fixing
problems in/with fonts, delivering open fonts

It seems to me that those are the areas where we should focus our
attention, simply because that will allow us to get to nicely designed
pages, without running into those problems mentioned above.

DJ