Erik Moeller wrote:
>On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 7:39 AM, Derk-Jan Hartman
><d.j.hartman+wmf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So for me, the question is not how can we apply pretty serif fonts to
>> headers, the question is what can we do short term and long term to
>> make that happen.
>
>It would be good if we could focus the conversation as much on
>concrete bugs and issues as possible.

You mean something like this?

Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:
>Short term:
>* Accept that the current solution is not working
>* Rely on Operating System to make the best choice it can, because we
>cannot do better (return to status quo)
>* Accept that maybe it might just not be possible right now
>* Gather statistics on cleartype font rendering (just like we look at
>tofu).
>* See if there are ways to make the target group to which the font
>change is applied narrower/stricter/better defined.
>
>Longer term:
>* Work with font communities to build true usable, enjoyable Free
>fonts with global reach.
>* Work with web/browser development communities to make web fonts
>more efficient
>* Work with OS vendors to make sure they are committed to fixing
>problems in/with fonts, delivering open fonts

I agree with all of this. Both Erik's and Derk-Jan's posts are very
good, but I get the feeling that people are talking past each other in
this thread sometimes.

As Quim notes, there's an upcoming MediaWiki release. We should merge
<https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/124475> into master and figure out what to
do with the other font-family adjustments for the short-term.

There seems to be demonstrable consensus for merging Gerrit change 124475
into master, though Steven refuses to remove his -2, which he should never
have been able to set. If you (Erik) are truly interested in focusing the
conversation on concrete bugs and issues, that's where I would start.

MZMcBride