On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 08:22:13PM +0200, Rainer Rillke wrote:
> Yeah, that would be cool: I am tool "x", I do "y" and you can disable me
> pressing button "z". Let button "z" be a prominent element of the UI for
> the time of testing at large scale.

For the record, we did the first part of this - there was a link to the
preferences page that would let you disable the feature at the bottom of
the metadata panel from the day we pushed to the 3rd pilot sites, I think.

As for "prominent", I don't think that's a good idea because it would
disrupt the realism of the feature. The purpose of such a feature would
be temporary, and when it got removed from the UI, it would cause a (small)
jolt to users. We already have a bunch of weird one-time things that are
cluttering the toolbar, we didn't need another one disrupting the flow
of our product.

If you're a power user, you know where Special:Preferences is, and we
made sure to help you out as much as possible if you don't. I don't think
we needed to do anything to make the preference more discoverable, it
would have been a waste of our time to do so given the other things we
have on our plates.

I can't speak to the community side of things - I was under the impression
that very few people had actually had that much trouble with the docs,
but perhaps the issues with them should be brought up *on their talk page*
rather than launching some weird campaign over a feature that, frankly,
could not *possibly* have been launched in a more cautious way.

Cheers,

--
Mark Holmquist
Software Engineer, Multimedia