On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Rainer Rillke <rainerril...@hotmail.com>wrote:

> As some people do not care a lot for beta features or new features, do
> not read the mailing lists and overlook main discussion forums or are
> just unable to understand English, they were surprised and confused and
> wondered how they could disable the feature.

Surprised and confused is a good description of how I feel when I visit the
main page of Commons and my mouse cursor strays onto the picture of the
day. A purple hazard light flares along the edges of the image, presumably
intending to alert me to the gross misuse of JavaScript that is about to
occur. Then the image pops out like some demented, angry Jack-in-the-box,
only nominally larger then the original image (which is still visible below
it), but transposed so that it obscures interface elements and page text.

Commons has 17 gadgets enabled by default, more than any other wiki I am
aware of. The Foundation could always do a better job. But as the saying
goes: good manners begin at home.