On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 6:37 PM, James HK <jamesin.hongkon...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > That is just the unfortunate truth. We are
> > not going to misuse libraries and hack together MediaWiki just so
> extension
> > installation can be *slightly* easier.
>
> This sort of behaviour towards non-WMF extension developers is
> interesting and if your objective is to alienate (as with the attitude
> above) volunteer developers then your on the right path.

You are free to use composer.json to manage extensions, in which case you
should version it in SCM. There's no conflict here. We did not favor one
use-case over another; we went with the path that coheres with the design
of Composer, as explicitly discussed in fantastic detail in its
documentation, bringing MediaWiki in line with every other significant
application or framework that uses Composer that I could find.

We're not so far down a path that we can't change course, but I've yet to
see you rebut any of the points I raised in my commit message accompanying
change I3e7c668ee[0] or articulate a coherent alternative.

As for the accusation that the current approach favors the WMF, it's almost
not worth responding to. We don't even intend to use Composer in
production; all the momentum behind the recent work around Composer
integration has in mind how MediaWiki fits with the broader open-source
ecosystem.

[0]: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/132788/