Starwman. I happen to have discussed the situation and the approach with
the main people behind Composer in person, as well as gone over details
with contributors on IRC. They did not seem to share your opinion.
Since we’re throwing out logical fallacies: argumentum ab auctoritate.

Like I’ve *already explained*…

Here is the problem: we need composer.json and composer.lock to be version
controlled so that MediaWiki core can manage its own dependencies rather than
using git submodules or hard-copying source trees into the repository, which
everybody agrees are not sustainable solutions. However, third parties want to
be able to install extensions via Composer, which, while not the purpose of
Composer, is technically feasible. These two ideas conflict.

Here is the solution: rather than using Composer as a package management system
when, in reality, it is a dependency management system, we use Composer to
properly maintain core, and then do one of the following: 1) implement our own
extension installation system from scratch, or 2) change and/or extend Composer
so that it supports a plugin system. I personally recommend the latter, and
there are upstream bug reports open concerning it.

--
Tyler Romeo
0xC86B42DF