Hey,

As for the accusation that the current approach favors the WMF, it's almost
> not worth responding to.

It seems like what James is getting at is the core community, not the WMF.
The problem being that several people seem to thing that the concerns
raised are "not relevant" and "not worth responding to".

Composer is simply not meant to be used in the way it was shoe-horned into
> MediaWiki.

Starwman. I happen to have discussed the situation and the approach with
the main people behind Composer in person, as well as gone over details
with contributors on IRC. They did not seem to share your opinion.

I’m not going to re-explain this every time because it is in multiple
> places on Bugzilla and in this mailing list.

Who is asking you to re-explain this? What I want is you and others to stop
dismissing the concerns raised and coming up with a solution for the
problems caused, rather then repeating the same lines over and over again.

We are not going to misuse libraries and hack together MediaWiki just so
> extension installation can be *slightly* easier.

In other words, you are fine with breaking existing support, and screwing
over both users and developers of extensions such as SMW. In case of SMW,
the different is not slight, as it uses libraries itself.

Cheers

--
Jeroen De Dauw - http://www.bn2vs.com
Software craftsmanship advocate