On 10 June 2014 15:34, Quim Gil <q...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> * User talk pages. Do we need multithread tree discussions in our user talk
> pages? No, we don't.

And yet this is a popular use for LQT on LQT-using wikis, so will need
to be covered by Flow.

> * Regular talk pages. In most cases a section gets 2-5 replies at most. The
> benefit of a simple entry point for newcomers and junior editors clearly
> surpasses the potential inconvenience for some vets, especially if our
> priority is to be welcoming and open to diversity of people and opinions.

This is the sort of phrasing that may raise the hackles of experienced
editors; talk like this got a lot of people's backs up during the
enforced VE trial.

I fear you will have to actually convince people to get them to accept this.

I do know objections for this use case have been raised already, e.g.
being able to post a proposed slab of wikitext into a talk page. You
need to allow for that one.

> * Forums open to new / junior editors like
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:Support_desk . If you notice the
> number of replies per thread, you will see that almost always they keep
> themselves under 10 posts, so I don't envision major problems if we move
> those to Flow as well.

That might work. What do the people volunteering on them think?
(That's pretty much the question to answer for all proposed use
cases.)

> * Hardcore forums for insiders. I wonder if there is any using LQT
> nowadays, the ones that come to mind are based on pure Wikitext, and in
> fact they are not even in a *Talk namespace. Therefore, even if Flow would
> be powering 100% of the talk pages in Wikimedia wikis, it would be still a
> decision of these forums to decide whether they want to stay with Wikitext
> or use Flow.

What examples are you thinking of?

- d.