The main issue with packages is not even the version. It is kinda expected
that distros don't have bleeding-edge packages, and 1.19 will be supported
for almost a year from now. However all packages I know of (Debian flavors
and not) split MW directory and put its parts into different places, trying
to follow the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. The result is not only
confsuion (one guy on IRC asked which of three LocalSettings.php files
present on his server he should edit; two of them turned out to be symlinks
but still helluva confusing) but also outright breakages because our code
base generally assumes that everything lies in one place.

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 12:23 AM, Dmitriy Sintsov <questpc...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Yes, please do not install MediaWiki via apt-get or aptitude. It will be
> old version with suboptimal settings. It is much better to install it
> manually.
> Speaking of Ubuntu, I think WMF is running a lot of Ubuntu / Debian
> systems. So, Ubuntu should be the best way of running MediaWiki.
> Dmitriy
>

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > David: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Running_MediaWiki_on_Ubuntu
> >
> > That warning could be clearer about what it's referring to.
> >

> > On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 2:24 PM, David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Where does it say it's unsupported? Some older page, talking about the
> > > distro version? I routinely use MW from tarball on Ubuntu and it's
> > > fine. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Debian/Ubuntu
> > >
> > > I'd personally recommend you install the prerequisites then use the
> > > MediaWiki tarball, but the distro 1.19 in recent versions of Ubuntu
> > should
> > > be
> > > good (if a bit old).
> > >
> > > I have done MW on Solaris and it was an exercise in pain, unless you
> > > use something that resolves dependencies for you. That is to say, a
> > > Linux.
> > >

> > > - d.

> > distro
> > > of