Max Semenik <maxsem.w...@gmail.com> writes:

> The main issue with packages is not even the version. It is kinda expected
> that distros don't have bleeding-edge packages, and 1.19 will be supported
> for almost a year from now.

This was done with Debian specifically in mind.

> However all packages I know of (Debian flavors and not) split MW
> directory and put its parts into different places, trying to follow
> the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. The result is [...] outright
> breakages because our code base generally assumes that everything lies
> in one place.

These are bugs that should be fixed.  Release management has worked
closely with Debian and Fedora packagers to improve their packaging
because, despite any on-wiki disclaimers, people will continue to use
"apt-get" and "yum" to install MediaWiki.

Mark.

--
Mark A. Hershberger
NicheWork LLC