On Sun, 10 Aug 2014, at 04:04, Andre Klapper wrote:
> > programming should be a hobby, like editing articles
>
> Free Software definitions don't imply that you shall not take money for
> your work, or eventually even make a living on it. It's part of the
> personal freedom that everybody has. However, nobody stops you from
> living your ideals of keeping programming a "hobby only". :)
>
> Cheers,
> andre
> --
> Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
> http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

I feel that having development carried out by "employees" hinders programming
the same software as a hobby: for instance, they work in a single language, and
don't need localised documentation

there are other (which i haven't shaped properly yet) differences of
architecture of comminity-run tech projects and tech projects run by employees,
which make getting involved as a hobby harder

for instance, i could not make a difference to a big linux distro run by a
corporation (or using one as an upstream)

which is why I'm not very supportive of any plans that involve more employees
at WMF Engineering either

I hope this way to put it is slightly more clear than it was before

svetlana