Brian Wolff <bawo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Almost every WMF developer attended Wikimania this year, and there was
>> > quite a lot of fruitful discussion and feedback given.  Somewhat
>> > surprisingly (to me, it was my first Wikimania) the tone in person was
>> > quite different than what you might expect from email list traffic.
> Perhaps
>> > that was self-selection, as the attendees at Wikimedia were the members
> of
>> > the community interested in constructively working on solutions.

>> > [...]

>> {{cn}}

> I dont know which part you want cited... but i can also confirm that
> ancedotally people at wikimania were much more positive about certain
> feature developments than the general attitude online.

The last subordinate clause.  I highly doubt that all "mem-
bers of the community interested in constructively working
on solutions" were at Wikimania, leaving none elsewhere, and
that all Wikimania attendees are "interested in construc-
tively working on solutions" given that at least some were
there at their employer's direction.

>                                                        What to make of this
> (whether its selection bias, or if  online attitudes reflect just a vocal
> minority, or if people in real life are just more shy and dont want to get
> in a real world fight so they tell us what we think we want to hear, or if
> something else is the case. I dont know. All i know is it was surprising)

> [...]

As I wrote in
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical/75394:

| [...]

| +1.  In a physical meeting, there is higher bandwith, but a
| lot of the payload can be pity, intimidation, "nobody leaves
| before we have an agreement", etc.

Additionally, at a venue like Wikimania, most of the atten-
dees are not there to "work", but take it as some form of
"vacation", so there isn't much incentive to take a stand
about something like Media Viewer, especially as in the end
it is not up for discussion anyhow, so why bother?

Tim