This is something that has to be discussed *on the projects themselves*,
not on mailing lists that have (comparatively) very low participation by
active editors.  Sending to another mailing list, even a broader one than
this, isn't going to get the buy-in needed from the people who will have to
clean up the messes.  You will need buy-in from at least the following
groups:

   - A significant number of editors from the project involved in the trial
   - Stewards
   - Global sysops/global rollbackers
   - Checkusers

You will also have to absolutely guarantee that the trial will end on the
date stated *regardless of what happens during the trial*, and that there
will be non-project support for the collection and analysis of data.  One
of the reasons projects tend to not want to participate in trials is the
unwillingness to return to status quo ante because someone/developers/the
WMF/etc has decided on their own basis that the results were favourable
without any analysis of actual data.  Frankly, we've experienced this so
often on English Wikipedia that it's resulted in major showdowns with the
WMF that have had a real and ongoing impact on the WMF's ability to develop
and improve software. (Don't kid yourself, this will be seen as a WMF
proposal even though it may be coming from volunteer developers.)

Edit filters are developed project-by-project, and cannot be relied upon to
catch problem edits; even with the huge number of edit filters on enwiki,
there is still significant spamming and vandalism happening.  Many of the
projects most severely impacted by inappropriate editing are smaller
projects with comparatively few active editors and few edit filters, where
recent changes are not routinely reviewed; stewards and global
sysops/rollbackers are often the people who clean up the messes there.

There also needs to be a good answer to the "attribution problem" that has
long been identified as a secondary concern related to Tor and other proxy
systems.  The absence of a good answer to this issue may be sufficient in
itself to derail any proposed trial.

Not saying a trial can't happen....just making it clear that it's not
something that is within the purview of developers (volunteer or staff)
because the blocking of Tor has always been directly linked to behaviour
and core policy, not to technical issues.  I very much disagree that this
is a technical issue; Tor's blocking is a technical solution to a genuine
policy/behaviour problem.

Risker/Anne