On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 10:29 AM, Brian Wolff <bawo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2014 10:55 AM, "Risker" <risker...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > This is something that has to be discussed *on the projects themselves*,
> > not on mailing lists that have (comparatively) very low participation by
> > active editors.
>
> Unless people want to trial on mw.org (assuming there is dev buy in, not
> sure we are there yet)

Does mw.org receive the level of vandalism and other unhelpful edits (where
people would like to use Tor to avoid IP blocking in making those edits)
that it would make for a useful test?

>  > There also needs to be a good answer to the "attribution problem" that
> has
> > long been identified as a secondary concern related to Tor and other
> proxy
> > systems.  The absence of a good answer to this issue may be sufficient in
> > itself to derail any proposed trial.
>
> Which problem is that?

If I understand it correctly, right now we attribute edits made without an
account to the IP address. Allowing edits via Tor should probably not be
attributing such edits to the exit node's IP.

One simple solution would be to disallow IP edits via Tor, i.e.
softblock[1] all Tor exit nodes instead of hardblocking them.

 [1]:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Blocking_policy#Setting_block_options