On 07/11/14 19:17, svetlana wrote:
> I would suggest to ask on a village pump and alter the configuration per
> local consencus.

We tried that before and the answer was "OMG no", even though nobody
bothered to look at the logs. It turns out that the captcha we were
using was broken from the outset -- trivially solvable with OCR -- but
apparently that didn't affect anyone's opinion of whether or not it
should be enabled.

According to reports from non-WMF users of ConfirmEdit, FancyCaptcha
has little effect on spam rate. See the table here for a summary:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmEdit

Anyway, sure, let's ask on some more village pumps.

-- Tim Starling