I think allowing post-facto modification of edit summaries in the very
limited case where the edit was done by the current user, the edit
summary is currently blank, and the new summary is non-blank could be
allowed with only small amounts wiki-burning.

Review tools would have to be updated so that janitors can patrol the
newly-added edit summaries, since that might happen long after the
actual content of the edit was patrolled.  And for a full log of
actions performed we'd need to record the timestamp of the summary
edit in a field separate from the timestamp of the revision itself.

But that's a decent amount of work (and UI) to implement what is now a
very limited use case.

Editing commit summaries works in git (and in gerrit) because there is
a clear boundary between "private work" and "published (merged) work".
I can rebase/edit the summary up until my work is published/merged.

I think the wiki would be benefited by the adoption of more of these
git-inspired workflows... but that's a whole 'nuther discussion.
  --scott

(http://cscott.net)