On 7 February 2015 at 22:20, Tyler Romeo <tylerro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> **However**, I’d like to take this opportunity and jump a step further. What
> would everybody think of switching to the AGPLv3 instead? The advantage that
> this provides, for those who don’t know, is a single additional restriction:
> when the software is used over the network, source code must still be
> provided. In other words, the requirements all remain the same (providing a
> copy of the source code, ensuring all modifications are also GPLed, etc.).
> The only difference is that the requirements take effect over the Internet
> rather than only when the software is distributed in object code form.

This would primarily affect third-party MediaWiki sites. Would a link
to http://mediawiki.org/download be sufficient for AGPL compliance?
(In the DFSG threat model of protecting a well-meaning reuser from a
vindictive author.) Or, per the letter of the license, would we be
required to keep a tarball on-site of what we're using?

Also, how does GPLv3 or AGPL affect the license of extensions?

- d.